Tour Map

Sunday, October 9, 2016

October 9

Well, today is the start the rest of the trip.  1800 miles to go!
I left the house this morning at 9am heading for Ellicott City where I'm pitching my tent in the backyard of one of my former patients.  My concern today was the wind, 25MPH.   That's a strong force when you're riding a bike.  I would never go out on my 13 pound road bike in that kind of wind - it would just blow me off the road - or onto the road and into traffic.  But the touring bike is big and heavy and it handled the wind pretty well.  Only a little wobble here and there.  It helped too that the wind was mostly gusting from North to South and I was heading South so that worked out pretty well.
Done with Pennsylvania and into Maryland:
I got to Ellicott City earlier than expected so I stopped at the Howard County Library to update the blog.  WOW - this is the biggest, nicest library I've seen yet.  And it's full of people!  I thought that was odd for a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  But then I'm happy to see people using these terrific resources.


Tomorrow I'm stopping at Rockville, MD to visit my son, Patrick.  That will be my last family stop until I see an Uncle in Melbourne, Florida.

2 comments:

  1. Saw you on Oct. 9 headed into MD as my wife and I drove south from Hanover, PA on MD 30. It was a windy day and I told my wife "It's a rough day to be out riding and that guy is in it for the long haul." Little did I know at the time you were the guy my dad (a patient of yours) was telling me about a few days earlier. Good luck and safe travels. I will be following along on your blog wishing I was out there riding along. Dan F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that was a windy day but I made it. Tonight I'm in Richmond and will head to Williamsburg in the morning. Finally the hills are starting to flatten out!!
    Thanks for following the blog. Tell your Dad I said hello.

    ReplyDelete