Tour Map

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

October 24, 25

The 24th was a fairly uneventful ride to Beaufort, NC for my last night in NC.  Plantations seemed to be everywhere on the right and left sides of the road.  Really made me think of the old South.


Closer to Beaufort there is the Marine Corps Air Station.

The 25th was off to Savannah, Georgia.  Only one more state to go!!
On the way into Savannah I passed miles and miles of grassy marshland - flat as far as you could see.


This is the Talmadge Memorial Bridge leading into Savannah.  I took a smaller bridge down the road that was safer for bicyclists.

City Hall with the gold dome.

I have to say I thought Savannah was beautiful.  The city streets have small parks spaced between every 2-3 blocks.  Each park has a central monument or fountain that gives the park its name.




Little outdoor cafe's along most of the center city streets.


Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.  Not quite on the scale of some of the European cathedrals we've seen but still very nice.






Just a nice place I passed:

Nice side street with Forsyth Park (30 acres) on the left.  There's a hotel that borders the park called "Mansion on Forsyth Park" that is supposed to be one of the finest hotels in the country.

I would really like to come back and spend several days looking around Savannah.


2 comments: