Tour Map

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

October 16, 17

Not a whole lot to report these two days.  Left Suffolk to stop over in Winton, VA on the night of the 16th.  Winton is not much of a town.  The only place open to eat was a Duck Thru gas station/convenience store/grill.  So that's where I ate dinner (pizza) and breakfast (bacon and egg biscuit).

This is the nicest thing I could find in Winton.  Someone spent a lot of time and expense restoring this beautiful house.  Unfortunately it stuck out like a sore thumb being surrounded by broken down, beat up houses and just general unkempt conditions.
In Winton and along the route I saw several monuments to Confederate soldiers.  I thought that was odd - I thought we should honor all the Civil War soldiers.  We shouldn't still be picking sides.

I set up my tent behind the library for the night and left at first light.

October 17th I headed for Roper, NC.  A pretty easy 54 miles.  This was the vacation home of a Warm Showers host.  He wasn't home but gave me access to his very large garage which had a shower, bathroom, laundry, all the necessities.  The street outside his home was still under water from the recent hurricane.

A beautiful vacation home almost right on the water.  Great views.


Tomorrow is my longest planned day so far - 87 miles to New Bern.  I'll let you know how that turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment