Tour Map

Monday, October 10, 2016

October 10

I had a wonderful stay in Ellicott City, Maryland at the home of a former patient of mine named Glenda.  I was prepared to stay in my tent last night but Glenda was concerned about the wind and cold temperatures so I brought my sleeping bag into the family room for the night.  We had a wonderful dinner together along with one of her freinds, a retired navy Admiral.  In the morning she prepared a super breakfast.
Honestly, all I was expecting was a place to pitch my tent and I ended up getting Four Seasons like accommodations!!
On the way to Rockville I passed the little town of Brookville with a historic marker indicating it had been the United States capital for 1 day in 1814.
Several miles down the road I had my first encounter with a driver offering me "friendly" advice!  And I don't mean words of encouragement!  Oddly enough this was on a relatively quiet back road and the guy, driving some kind of Utility truck, was going in the opposite direction - so I wasn't affecting him at all.  He screamed at me through  his truck window and then moved on.
A few miles down the road I entered the Rock Creek Hiker-Biker Trail.  A beautiful trail through the woods paralleling the Rock Creek, almost 19 miles long, and takes you almost into Washington, DC.  The trail is paved but it was a little bumpy due to tree roots lifting up the pavement.  It would be a perfect trail to run or walk on or use a bike with a front shock absorber.  Bumpy or not it was nice to get off the roads.

Also - yesterday I hit a big milestone - went over the 1000 mile mark.  Woo hoo!

Tonight I'm in Rockville, MD with my son, Patrick, and tomorrow it's on to Washington, DC and then Manassas, VA.


No comments:

Post a Comment