Tour Map

Monday, October 31, 2016

October 28, 29

October 28 was a day of no riding, or a "zero day" as the Appalachian Trail guys would say.  It really felt good to have nowhere to go and just relax.  I stayed at the home of long time family friends, Rico and Merry, in Green Cove Springs for the nights of the 27th and 28th.  It felt so good to take a ride in the car, sit around the house, and meet some of their friends.  I was surprised how many New Yorkers/Long Islanders have retired down in this area.
Here is a picture of Rico and Merry:
 The morning of the 29th it was time to hit the road to Palm Coast, Florida.  Along the way I went through St. Augustine.  Looks like a neat place to spend a few days.  St. Augustine was founded in 1565 by the Spanish and a lot of Spanish inspired architecture still remains.
This is the Castillo de San Marcos fort, the oldest masonry fort in the United States.  Construction began in 1672.

There is a kind of "Old Town" shopping area filled with all manor of shops housing restaurants, clothing boutiques, jewelry stores, ice cream shops, candy stores, ...





Riding along route A1A right along the Atlantic Ocean I passed miles and miles of trash piled along the side of the road - all damaged material from the recent hurricane.
A shot of Crescent Beach.
Along the road I passed this gallery of driftwood carvings I thought were really great.


Tonight I'm staying in Palm Coast.  Tomorrow 107 miles to my Uncle Joe in Melbourne.

4 comments:

  1. You made it to Florida (days ago)! I noticed your tent is missing in one of the latest photos of your bike. That could be a good thing, unless you forgot to pack it last time you used it. HaHa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eye Dan. Yes I mailed the tent and a few other items home 2 days ago as I have places to stay lined up for the rest of the trip. The end is near!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you stop in Cruisers Grill? The driftwood carvings are super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't stop in Cruisers Grill. We'll do that when we come back. The carvings were awesome - there was a bunch of them but I only took those 3 shots. All of them were great. The guy is very talented.

    ReplyDelete