Tour Map

Friday, September 30, 2016

September 30

I spent a restful two nights at the home of my friend Bill and his wife Lisa in East Stroudsburg.  Friday morning I awakened to heavy rain, wind, and 40 degree temperatures.  Bill informed me (told me!!) I wasn't leaving in that weather - it was too cold and too dangerous to be on the roads.  Although I grumbled a little I'm glad he made me wait out the storm.  Around noon the storm had mostly passed and it was time to go.  I put on 2 long sleeve shirts, a rain jacket, rain pants, waterproof shoe covers, and Bill gave me a pair of waterproof shells to wear over my gloves.  With all that stuff on there was no way I was stopping to take any pictures - sorry - just a narrative today!
Only covered 41 miles today but because of the rain and cold I wimped out and scheduled a hotel room instead of sleeping in the tent.  I really hadn't planned on 40 degree temperatures at this time of the year.  The hotel, however, was not the first moment of weakness.  Two days ago, after riding about 70 miles, I encountered a hill that I just could not ride up.  That was the first time I've had to get off the bike and push it up a hill.  Just not as young as I used to be!!
56.5 miles scheduled for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment