Tour Map

Friday, September 23, 2016

September 23

After a strange night's accommodations and not too much sleep is was off to West Haven.  So far the best roads in New England are in Connecticut - not all perfect - but pretty good and many of them with bike lanes.  First went through New Britain which appeared economically depressed and not a place to linger in.  For a blighted area there seemed to be an inordinate number of Cadillac SUV's all pumping out the loudest noise (couldn't really call it music) I have ever heard coming from a vehicle!!  Once out of the city it was back to country roads where I passed this enormous farm of Mums:

After that I rode on miles (about 20) of canal paths:


I have a bell on my bike to warm people ahead of me that I'm approaching but it is essentially useless because almost everyone I encountered on these trails was hooked up to some kind of device so they couldn't hear me ringing the bell.  They couldn't hear me say good morning either so we just resorted to a nod of the head.  It doesn't seem right to me but that's the way of the world.

Finally made it into New Haven and went past Yale University.
I saw this sign on campus which was hysterical since almost everyone going past it was texting!!
 I'm excited to be in West Haven only because it means that tomorrow I will get on the ferry at Bridgeport and it will take me to Port Jefferson, NY.  From there I will ride to my parents and sister's houses in Northport, NY and take a break for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure sharing our home and West Haven culinary culture with you, Doug! Wishing you many happy miles! -- Joe and Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe. I appreciate your hospitality and it was a pleasure meeting you and your family.

    ReplyDelete