Tour Map

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Lessons Learned

Some lessons I've learned the first few days:

1.  Don't put sunscreen on your forehead.  When you sweat it gets in your eyes and really stings.
2.  When your chain comes off don't fix it with your bike gloves on because when you wipe your eyes (from            the stinging sunscreen) you'll end up with a nasty mixture of sunscreen and chain lube in your eyes.                (yes I did that!!)
3.  The wind is always in your face and never at your back.
4.  Temperature regulation is a big issue.  It's cold in the morning so you wear a windbreaker.  But within a                few minutes you're going up a hill and sweating.  Then you go down hill and freeze.  Very hard to                  maintain a steady body temp.  Even worse when it rains and you're clothes are soaked all day.
5.  I don't think there is a flat section of road in Maine.  You're either going uphill or downhill all day!
6.  I'm carrying too much stuff.  I will unload a few things when I get to my parents home on Long Island.

(I will update this list as time goes on and I continue to learn what I'm doing!)

6 comments:

  1. Well that's not how the Irish Blessing goes :( Next time you'll have to bike in the opposite direction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of all the flat land once you get south :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I looked at all my maps and I just have to get to Richmond, Virginia then it really flattens out.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for following along. I'll try to keep posting when I have the time and a wifi signal.
    See you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete