Tour Map

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

November 1

Back on the road.  Here I am leaving Joe and Pam's house in Melbourne.

83 miles today to Port St. Lucie to meet my hosts for the evening, Don and Amy.  The wind was pretty strong most of the day which slowed my speed.    I took some pictures of the surf so you could see the wind whipping up the surf.

A picture of the intercoastal waterway approaching Port St. Lucie:

After 70 miles of riding google maps put me on this "road".  The sand was 2-3 inches deep making riding all but impossible.  I walked most of the 2.5 miles. Here you can see my tire tracks and my footprints along side from pushing the bike.

It was a frustrating end to the ride but, as has happened many times on this trip, once I reach the home of my hosts and they open the door and genuinely welcome me into their home, all the frustration, aches and pains, and petty annoyances of the day just disappear.  And that's exactly what happened today when I got to Don and Amy's home.  Don and I talked while he prepared a great steak dinner and it seemed so comfortable - like we had known each other for years.  Amy soon came home and we talked at length about the cross country bicycle trip their son, Kyle, had done.
In the morning Amy made a breakfast casserole and gave me Powerbars, fruit, and juice for the road.  The generosity of people on this trip has just been so astounding to me.  I can't wait to get home and host more people and make their travels a little easier.
Here's Don and Amy and Kosmo the dog!


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, a picture of you finally! You look just like you did when you started your trek, although probably a few pounds lighter.I'll have to fatten you up when you get home!
    Is the sand in the road from hurricane Matthew?
    I know you love that yellow shirt but I'm guessing you're gonna be happy to put it away when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on wearing one shirt home and the rest are going in the trash at Key West!!
    I think the sand is always on that particular road.

    ReplyDelete